Monday, February 4, 2013

Places To Go, Things To See

Since my boyfriend and I had a week in Dallas before he started work today, we tried to fit as much touristy things in while we had the time. I think I have been stuffed with amazing food the entire time here in Dallas. We've gone to so many great restaurants all of which I definitely would recommend. I haven't had a bad meal yet!


Restaurants We’ve Been To:

My favorite restaurant so far has been Luna de Noche which is an upscale TexMex place in Uptown Dallas. The décor is very modern and the food is amazing. Valet parking was only $5, which I consider very affordable. Of course they bring out complimentary chips and salsa, but we also had the best guacamole I’ve ever eaten. I ordered an avocado soup because I absolutely love avocado. It was very different and unlike anything I’ve ever tried before. They pour chicken broth over cheese, chips, and avocado for the perfect combination. The cheese melts perfectly to make every bite delicious. For my main course I had their recommended sour cream chicken enchiladas, which came with Mexican rice and beans. My boyfriend had rib eye fajitas, and we both agree this is the best Mexican we’ve had in a long time. The service was great, as all service down South is. My boyfriend had a beer with dinner which raised our bill a little, but the overall price for two people would be around $60-$70. This is not a place we would come every week, but absolutely at least once a month!

Luna de Noche
Avocado Soup
Sour Cream Enchiladas and Rib eye Fajitas 
_________________________________________________________________________

My boyfriend’s parents took us to a Korean bakery called Caffé Bene outside Dallas in the Korean district. Korean’s are known for their amazing baked goods, and I have to say it was delicious. We went for brunch, and I ended up getting a waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. It looked small but it was actually really filling. I also ended up getting a cream cheese danish which is one of my absolute favorites. I couldn’t finish it so I took it home and had it for breakfast the next day. It was still perfectly delicious the day after. This is a place I would love to come once a week for a late breakfast or early lunch. I can’t wait to try more Korean baked goods the next time I go!

Waffle with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
Cream Cheese Danish 
________________________________________________________________________

La Madeline is a chain restaurant around here, but I’ve never heard of them up North. I would compare it to a Panera which I love. I’ve only been here a week, and I’ve been here three times already! We go mostly for breakfast, but they have great lunch options as well. My boyfriend loves the potato soup and always gets the largest bowl every time we go. They offer free bread and the best jam! My favorite item is strawberries romanoff which is like yogurt but much sweeter, almost like a fruit dip. I’ve also had crepes here and the best, flaky croissants. If there is a La Madeline chain around you I highly recommend you check it out. It’s a really inexpensive breakfast or lunch to try out!

Bread & Jam, Strawberries Ramanoff, Parfait, Blueberry Muffin
________________________________________________________________________

My boyfriend’s parents also took us to a restaurant called BJ’s Brewery in Addison, Texas. I would consider the food a mix between Italian, American, and Mexican (three of my favorites!) They are a brewery and make their own beer. Although I don’t really drink, I tried some of my boyfriend’s homemade beer and it was very good. I almost even ordered my own glass. I am a big fan of lettuce wraps so we ordered shrimp Thai lettuce wraps for an appetizer. I loved the spicy sauce that goes with the wraps. For my main course I ordered a delicious turkey burger. It kind of reminded me of a Red Robin burger, and it was perfect! The service was great again even though they were extra busy that night. If you like beer and typical bar food, you have to try out BJ’s!
Shrimp Thai Lettuce Wraps 
Places We’ve Gone:

While we were in the Korean district one day, we also stopped by the Korean supermarket called H-Mart. It was literally like a mall for food. It even has a jewelry store inside.  Although it was mostly Korean food and brands, they also carried food you would find in your typical grocery store. The produce and fish were the freshest I’ve ever seen. My boyfriend and I decided we are going to buy our seafood, fruits, and vegetables from H-mart just because they're super fresh and inexpensive. They had the largest variety of fish I’ve ever seen, and they can filet it right in front of you if you choose. I saw some things I’ve never seen before such as live fluke fish. Apparently that’s really popular in Asian cooking. They get their shipment of fresh fish on Sunday, so every Sunday that’s where you will find us!
H-Mart, like Walmart, but better
Live Lobster 
Live Fluke 
Entire isle for Soy Sauce 
Entire isle for Rice 
Jewelry store inside Korean grocery store 
________________________________________________________________________

One of the people my boyfriend works with, was able to get free tickets to a comedy club in Uptown Dallas and invited us. I had never been to a comedy club before and didn't know what to expect. The club was called Hyena's Comedy Club and there were three comedy acts, although the featured act was Billy D Washington. He was hilarious! Seriously hilarious! I was completely entertained! He has been featured on comedy central, HBO, and Last Comic Standing. If you have an opportunity to go see him, do it! I laughed so hard I cried (for and hour and a half straight!). The comedy club required that each person buy a two drink minimum, which sucked for me because I don't really drink. I had to pay for a coke I didn't want or drink. It was absolutely worth it to see Billy D though. Seriously check him out! You can follow him on twitter for updates on where he will be next  https://twitter.com/BillyWashington

Dallas sky at night
Billy D. Washington--- HILARIOUS!
He even plays the piano 
________________________________________________________________________

I had an interview last week and realized all my professional clothes are in storage, so my boyfriend took me to the Galleria Mall in Dallas to get some new clothes. I’ve been to nice malls before, but I have to say, I’ve never seen a mall with an ice skating rink. Although we didn’t skate, we did shop (and did a lot of window shopping). Most stores are out of our price range, but it’s still fun to look at all the nice stores and restaurants.
The Galleria Mall 
Ice skating rink inside the mall 
________________________________________________________________________

Just exploring the area where we live has been really fun for me. There is a cow farm right in our backyard, and I love to sit outside and watch them. I've also seen a few horses and even a donkey! We also have a pond, fountain, and gazebo right outside our balcony. If you know me, then you know I love water of any kind. Our pond is small, but it's perfect for me! The weather has been so nice that we just sit out in the gazebo and relax. It's really peaceful, even with the cows right next door! Along one of our walks we did see a huge snake which I was not too thrilled about. I've never seen a snake in person other than just a small garden snake. I hope this isn't a normal occurrence here in Texas. I really hate snakes!
Going for a walk on this beautiful Texas day
I LOVE water!
Hey there donkeys 
Hello cuties :)
My perfection
________________________________________________________________________

My favorite place we’ve gone so far has been the Dallas World Aquarium in Uptown Dallas. I love animals and water, so the aquarium is the perfect place for me to spend a day. Parking was $7 for the day and admission was $20 per person. We ended up going during the week and ran into a few field trips, but other than that it was pretty empty. This place is huge and not only an aquarium but also a small zoo. We easily spent 4 hours entertained by all there was to see. My favorite part was seeing the three-story waterfall and the endangered manatee eat lunch. I’ve been to quite a few aquariums before, but this was my favorite so far. Some of the best attractions were the shark tunnel, 14-foot crocodile, and jaguar exhibit. If you are in the Dallas area, definitely go check it out!  
Go and check it out! Seriously! 
My favorite part! 
Sloth just chillin  
HUGE crocodile 
With my baby <3 
Otters having fun 
Manatee swimming under the waterfall 
Three-story waterfall
Sea turtle photo bomb
In the rain forest 
Endangered manatee 
With the manatee 
"I like turtles"
Shark tunnel 
Manatee feeding 
Such a cutie 
Sleeping beauty 
Penguins eating lunch 
Pretty pink flamingos
I found this website that lists 100 things to do in Dallas. I can't wait to see how many of them we can do before heading to the next city. http://centraltrack.com/articleCulture.php?id=1047 As we continue to do more fun things I will continue to blog about them. Check back soon to see what we do next!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you guys are having so much fun!

    www.ashleysapartments.com

    ReplyDelete