Monday, April 6, 2015

OC Beaches

Hello blog family,

My boyfriend and I have been going on some great weekend trips that I will blog about sometime in the near future. I wanted to do a quick blog about some of the local beaches we've been going to so that I can focus on writing my blogs about our awesome trips.

Newport Beach Pier:
With so many great local beaches, it is hard to pick a favorite. I think Laguna Beach will always have a special place in my heart (mostly because of the MTV show), but Newport Beach is a close second. One of my favorite places to go at Newport Beach is the pier. It is fun to walk along the boardwalk, watch people fish and surf, and even spot some seals swimming along the pier. Parking during the summer months can be close to impossible to find, so I recommend going early spring to avoid the crowds. Get your fresh squeezed lemonade from one of the local shops and enjoy your relaxing day at the beach. 
Under the pier
Hello Mr. Seal
Victoria Beach:
Most of the beaches in Orange County are packed on the weekends, so when I read about a secret beach in Laguna with an old lighthouse, I knew I had to check it out. To find Victoria Beach I parked on the corner of S. Coast Hwy and Sunset Terrace. Since this beach is in a residential area, make sure you are not parking in an area where there are houses or you may get towed. After parking we walked down Sunset Terrace and found a small opening on the left with stairs down to the beach. It is easy to miss so keep an eye out. Once down the stairs you will come out to a beach that is much less crowded than others in the area, although I wouldn't call it a "secret beach". If you walk towards the right for about a half-mile you will see the tower which resembles an old lighthouse. We sat our things down and then explored the tower and rocks for a while. There are many large rocks right in front of the tower which creates huge waves that crash down. While we were watching the waves we saw a whale not too far from the shore come up for air. We've been whale watching before, but to see a whale while relaxing on the beach was one of the coolest things I've seen in California. Victoria Beach has quickly become one of my new favorite beaches to go to, and I can't wait to go back again soon. 
The tower
The beautiful water
Waves
Tide pools
Balboa Island Beach:
Last month was my boyfriend's 26th birthday. I made him pancakes and bacon for breakfast, and then we spent the morning watching basketball and relaxing on the couch. Before dinner we went to Balboa Island to walk along the beach and pier. Again we saw people fishing, surfing, and even a few seals hanging around. There are lots of cute shops along the boardwalk that we went into and looked at the California souvenirs. We reminded each other again that we actually live in a place that people come to vacation. After our time at the beach we then went to dinner at Fig & Olive in Newport. It was the last day of Orange County restaurant week, so we took advantage of the $50 three-course menu. The food, service, and atmosphere were perfect! The entire day was amazing, and I'm so happy that I got to celebrate another great birthday with my boyfriend. 

Birthday kisses
Balboa Island
Pier
Sun is staring to set
More seals
Bull shark?
Happy birthday!
Love you <3
I'll be writing a blog about our Valentine's Day trip next so check back real soon.
XoXo,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment