Sunday, October 5, 2014

Goodbye Summer 2014, You Were Great

Hello blog family,
Since the last time I've blogged a lot has happened. To start we moved into our new apartment in Orange County which has been taking up a lot of our time. Between the actual move, unpacking, cleaning, and then decorating the place we've been super busy. Football started which means that every weekend we are glued to the TV. Saturday is filled with college football (go Penn State) and Sunday is all about the NFL (go Eagles). I also turned 25 three weeks ago and spent the weekend celebrating my quarter century birthday. September was a great month and I can't wait to share it all with you.

If you follow my blog then you know while in Texas we made a trip to the Texas State Fair, and it unfortunately was a bust because of the rain. Since I didn't get to gorge on fried food in Texas, we decided we had to check out the OC Fair in Costa Mesa while it was in town. I heard from a co-worker that the fair is expensive so I was prepared. After parking, admission tickets, rides, and of course the food we ended up spending over $120. Some of the food we tried included fried Oreos, fried pickles, chocolate covered bacon, a huge turkey leg, bacon wrapped pickles, and a cheese quesadilla for me. I wish the portion sizes were smaller so I could have tried more foods because after drinking a few glasses of wine and a frozen margarita, I felt sick. Right before we left we rode the ski lift over the entire fair and got a birds eye view of everything below. I left smelling like barbecue and turkey legs and had a great day with my boo.

Fried food :)
Bacon wrapped pickles
Fried Oreos
Wine Bar
Drinking wine out of plastic cups
Games
Rides
Turkey Legs
Fried pickles
Of course we did the photo booth
Babe and his turkey leg
Hilarious, I wanted to do it
Ski lift
Ferris wheel
Great time with my babe :)
Right before our move my Daddy called and told me that he would be coming out to the LA area for business right before my birthday. My Dad's birthday is two days before mine (hello Virgos) so it worked out great that he would be in town to celebrate our birthdays together. I chose to go to the Anaheim White House since it was half way between where he was staying and where I live. The restaurant is a little pricey but the food and atmosphere was really nice. The food was good but the way they plate their food is beautiful. I ended up ordering the sea bass, my Dad had the tuna, and my boyfriend had clam linguine. We were all pleased with our meals even if they forgot to give us our free dessert for celebrating our birthdays. I'm so happy that I got to see my Dad even if only for a few hours. Happy birthday Daddy!
Fancy napkins
Daddy <3
After my Dad left it was time to celebrate my birthday weekend. Since we just moved I put my boyfriend on a strict budget to not spend too much money on my birthday. He always goes over the top! I was not too excited about turning 25 (half way to 30) so I just wanted a relaxing weekend with my boo. He surprised me with beautiful flowers that were delivered to my apartment which I absolutely loved. On Saturday he took me to the Irvine Great Park (blogged about this before). Last time we were here it was too windy to go up in the hot air balloon, and I was slightly relieved since I am scared of heights. This time of course it was a perfect day so the balloon was fully operating. The ride is $10 per person although I believe it used to be free. We got into the tethered balloon and went up 400 feet in the air for about 10 minutes. I was terrified on the way up since I had no idea when we would stop. The kids playing soccer below looked like ants. Once we were at the top we could see all of Irvine including where we live and the view of the city which we can see from our apartment. I wasn't scared anymore and actually enjoyed the beautiful day and view of the city and mountains. Although I enjoyed the ride, I was happy to get back on the ground and move on to the next surprise stop. 
My flowers
Waiting for our turn
Here we go...
At the top
Irvine
We live out there somewhere
Blue skies
After our sky high ride my boyfriend took me to Inspiration Point in Newport Beach which we had never been to before. He read good reviews about the beach being very private and secluded. Other people must have read the same Yelp reviews because it was a beautiful day, and the beach was filled with people. Although busy, I think this was the prettiest water I've seen so far in California. I could sit on the benches and watch the waves for hours. It is called Inspiration Point because it would be hard not to be inspired by the beauty. We sat an listened to the waves for a while then took a walk along the beach. We found a nice rock to sit on and let the waves crash on our legs. I'm really glad my boyfriend brought me here, and I can't wait to go back again maybe at night to see the stars and moon light up the beach.
Newport Beach, CA
<3
I love all the colors of blue
Beautiful day
I love water
Watching the waves
Like I mentioned before, Saturday is all about Penn State. Luckily they had a late game (5:00PT) so we could enjoy the day before the game started. I had really been missing Penn State recently. I think it is partially the fact that I am getting older and felt the youngest and had the most fun while I was there. I went online and found the local Penn State alumni association OC chapter that meets every Saturday at a local bar to watch the games. There are over 200 members which is exactly what I needed while I was missing Happy Valley. The entire bar was out of control screaming when we came back to win the game in the final minutes. Best birthday present ever! Being around hundreds of Penn State alumni made me feel better and let me enjoy my birthday again.
My margarita and Penn State
I bleed blue & drink blue too
On Sunday morning (my actual birthday) my boyfriend took me to brunch since I was really craving pancakes and mimosas. We were told really good things about the restaurant Taco Maria, but when my boyfriend surprised me by taking me here I was skeptical. I just wanted some good old fashioned pancakes and eggs. I have to say I was so wrong to have ever doubted him. It was the best brunch/breakfast I ever had! They offer a 3 course brunch that is to die for. All 3 of my courses were simple yet delicious. I highly recommend this place for brunch or dinner. We ended up paying about $140 but I had quite a few mimosas. We are excited about going back to try the 5 course dinner menu very soon!
Cheers
2nd course, pancakes
3rd course, eggs Benedict 
We are still working on the final few details of the new apartment, but as soon as I finish I will update with photos and how the move went. Hope everyone had a great summer and is enjoying the start of fall!

XoXo,

Valerie 

No comments:

Post a Comment